- B.A., cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, University of Washington, 1998
- J.D. with great distinction, Order of the Coif, Pacific McGeorge, 2001
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of California, Intellectual Property Section
- Orange County Bar Association, Entertainment, Sports & Marketing Law Section
- 82nd Airborne Division Association
Andrew R. Nelson
Andy Nelson is a shareholder at Friedman Stroffe & Gerard, P.C. Andy’s practice emphasizes cost-effective resolution of disputes.
- Intellectual Property
For intellectual property matters, Andy’s practice emphasizes the development of strategies for trademark and copyright enforcement and compliance. Andy has experience with matters involving trademark rights, together with gray market, counterfeiting, and seizure issues; ownership and infringement of copyright; misappropriation of trade secrets and other confidential information; and general unfair business practices.
Andy also has experience with matters involving management and control of business entities, contractual and related commercial disputes, including licensing and commercial leases. In the construction industry, Andy has extensive experience dealing with the disputes that arise in owner-contractor-subcontractor relationships.
- Defended distributors and national discount retailers on claims of copyright infringement related to a distribution of printed garments.
- Prosecuted claims of copyright infringement against big box store and its supplier on claims of trademark counterfeiting for well-known surf apparel brand.
- Defended general contractor in multi-party commercial construction dispute involving claims of defective construction and failures to comply with construction documents; prosecuted derivative claims against subcontractors and suppliers.
News and Publications
- “Mystery of the Ages: Applying Fair Use in Light of the Purposes of Copyright in Worldwide Church of God v. Philadelphia Church of God, Inc.” 32 MCGEORGE L.REV. 1101 (2001)