- B.A., University of California at Santa Barbara, summa cum laude, 1984
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law (Boalt Hall), 1993
- State Bar of California
- All Federal District Courts in California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- State Bar of California, Litigation Section
- Orange County Bar Association, Business Litigation Section, Mandatory Fee Arbitration Committee
- Orange County Transactional Network (Co-Chair and Founder of M&A networking group)
- Opus Connect (Co-Chair of Orange County private equity chapter)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Robert E. Adel
Robert E. Adel is a shareholder of Friedman Stroffe & Gerard, P.C. He is a commercial litigator with over two decades of experience in a broad array of business disputes. He chairs the firm’s Litigation Practice Group.
Drawing on his background as a business owner and as a financial manager for a Fortune 50 company, Rob strives not just to win, but to provide his clients with practical and cost-effective business solutions to their legal problems. Rob has experience in a wide variety of complex commercial litigation, including breaches of contract, securities and consumer class actions, construction defects, product liabilities, professional negligence, fiduciary duties, unfair competition and disputes involving mergers & acquisitions, real estate purchase and sale transactions, and partnerships. Rob’s experience spans federal and state trial and appellate courts and arbitrations across the country.
Rob is particularly experienced in litigation arising from organizational mergers & acquisitions, including working capital and earn-out arbitrations and breaches of representations and warranties, as well as other corporate governance issues such as Indemnity claims, director and officer duties, and takeover and control disputes. Rob is also experienced in legal issues surrounding the ownership, purchase and sale of real property and related disputes involving partnerships or LLCs.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Rob started and ran a wholesale and retail clothing company. He then became a financial analyst and manager for McDonnell Douglas Corp.
- Successfully represented a major private equity company and its principals in a class action lawsuit brought by minority shareholders arising from a sale of a majority interest in a public company, in which plaintiffs alleged that the selling directors failed to obtain a fair sale price for their shares.
- Achieved a favorable result in trial and arbitration for a major private equity company in a lawsuit and related working capital arbitration arising from the purchase of a telecommunications company.
- Achieved a defense verdict in arbitration on behalf of an automotive accessories manufacturer in a claim arising from a failed merger.
- Prevailed in a lawsuit on behalf of a public company in a case against a television star and her company involving a scheme to trick the company into donating to a bogus charitable entity.
- Prevailed in a working capital arbitration on behalf of a British public company in a case involving the acquisition of a cable technology company.