- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, University of Missouri.
- M.B.A., Washington University in St. Louis
- J.D. with Distinction, McGeorge School of Law, University of Pacific (Traynor Society; Anthony M. Kennedy, Inns of Court; and William C. Vis International Arbitration Moot Court team)
- LLM in Technology and Intellectual Property, honors, Washington University in St. Louis
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Missouri
- Central, Eastern, and Northern District Federal Courts and Federal Bankruptcy Courts of California and all Superior Courts
- Eastern and Western District Federal Courts of Missouri
Brian Matlock is a partner at FSG LAWYERS. Brian has been a corporate and intellectual property attorney for almost 15 years, handling both transactional and litigation matters.
- Corporate & Business
- Intellectual Property
Brian practices broadly in the areas of corporate governance, venture funding, patent portfolio management, intellectual property, technology transfer and licensing, corporate restructuring and business counseling. Brian also handles complex disputes in these areas including judicial matters in a wide variety of US and international jurisdictions, settlement conferences, mediation, and arbitration. Among other things he advises clients in shareholder disputes, structured transactions, mergers/acquisitions, and anti-fraud litigation. His clients are primarily investment funds, investors, directors, C-suite officers and inventors.
Previously Brian was a partner and co-chair of the civil litigation practice at a Los Angeles-based law firm, and a licensing associate at the University of Missouri where he assisted faculty and investors in launching cutting edge technology in therapeutics, diagnostics, chemicals, advanced materials, software and energy. Prior to that, he worked as in-house corporate counsel for a Fortune 500 electronics manufacturer and developer, where he directed all of the company commercial contract, corporate law, intellectual property and patent related matters, and all company patent and intellectual property litigation worldwide.
- Round C Private Securities Equity Funding. Solar Plus Storage Equipment and Software Integrator; Integrated Energy Storage Provider. Led intellectual property due diligence of M&A restructuring, international intellectual property portfolio development, procurement and protection strategy, and company-wide trade secret compliance process. Successfully completed a $40MM funding round based largely on valuation of intangible assets.
- Exclusive License Defense and Electronics Components Maker, Fremont, CA. Draft and negotiate terms and conditions of exclusive license deal for a global provider of defense systems.
- Delaware Corporate Formation and advice on Board Related Governance Issues; Stock Option Plan; Shareholder Agreement; Asset Purchase Agreement; Assignment of Inventors; Master Services Agreement and Software as a Service Agreement, Mapping Software Underground Utilities.
- California LLC Formation and Related Board and Shareholder Issues; Buy Sell Agreement; Inventor assignments of patents and other intellectual property to company.
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Plan of Reorganization, Equestrian Business, United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California. Led reorganization team to a successful confirmation and completion of a complex Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization for Real Estate and Business Restructuring Matter.
- Corporate Law, Directors and Shareholders Dispute; Developed a trial and corporate valuation strategy with client. Obtained a verdict in favor of client resulting in a buyout of the opposing party and a restructuring of client’s business. Obtained favorable company valuation.
- Copyright Infringement Litigation and Trial. Obtained a favorable verdict in trial in Central District of California, Los Angeles.
- Copyright Infringement and Trade Secret Misappropriation. Obtained a favorable settlement for international client from China in trade secret and copyright dispute over software and methods.
- Trade Secret Misappropriation and Trademark Infringement, Obtained a favorable multiple six-figure lump sum plus a structured settlement for international client from Australia in trade secret, trademark and commercial dispute over client’s proprietary wine industry cooling methods and processes.
- Patent and Intellectual Property Litigation. ITC Section 337 matter for Exclusion Order.
- Trade Secret Misappropriation Mediation. Obtained a favorable approximately $500k lump sum settlement for emerging growth client from Benicia, CA in a trade secret dispute. Settled during a JAMS mediation.