- T: 949.265.1103
- E: email@example.com
- Download V-card
- B.A., Economics, magna cum laude, Harvard University, 1973
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of San Diego School of Law, 1976
- Clerk, Justice Marcus M. Kaufman at the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Second Division
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Licensed California real estate broker
James D. Stroffe
James D. Stroffe is a shareholder of FSG LAWYERS and chairs the Real Estate & Construction Practice Group. Jim has over 30 years’ experience in real estate related transactions and litigation, corporate litigation management, development management, financial management and analysis, project and property management, and business administration.
- Real Estate & Construction
Jim’s experience includes the acquisition, management and disposition of improved and unimproved land; public and private mixed-use development projects; land use and entitlements including planning, zoning, environmental impact reports, development agreements, historic preservation, conservation easements and redevelopment law; major residential, commercial, retail and industrial lease transactions; real estate finance, including promissory notes, loan agreements, participation agreements, mortgages and deeds of trust, title insurance, surety bonds and guarantees, letters of credit, mortgage loan workouts, foreclosure and related matters; all aspects of construction law including licensing, owner/contractor and contractor/subcontractor contracts, owner/architect agreements, mechanic’s liens, performance and payment bonds, risk management and insurance.
Jim was a senior executive with a regional real estate developer and syndicator, where he was responsible for all asset management functions relating to syndicated and wholly owned multifamily properties, disposition/sale of assets, investor relations and investment banking relationships. He also held a senior executive position with a national real estate developer where he was responsible for managing all West Coast operations, including acquisition, development, finance, construction, administration and asset management. As chief operating officer for a $100 million per year construction company, he gained extensive knowledge and a deep understanding of construction industry operational practices. These experiences, including interacting with outside counsel, over 10 years afford Jim valuable insight on the practical, as well as legal, aspects of these client activities.
- Represented the master developer in a complicated multi-developer disposition and development agreement involving a 3,000 acre redevelopment project area, encompassing golf course, single family detached residential lots, habitat conservation, set aside and ACOE and MSHCP compliance.
- Represented a developer in the recapitalization of a distressed $300 million residential land development project.
- Represented the general contractor in negotiation and documentation of a $50 million high rise residential condominium construction contract.
- Represented a landowner in a $20 million multi-party land development, construction defect and professional negligence action.